We have an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to lead our Kitchen Team. The successful applicant will be a hands-on Chef and Kitchen Manager who has a passion for producing top quality food and the management skills to motivate and drive the team to achieve the highest standards. The Head Chef is responsible for designing and costing menu’s, managing stock, all food safety and hygiene matters as well as the training and development of staff. They will be able to work at speed in a high pressure environment and motivate other members of the team to achieve a successful service. This is a full time permanent position based on a 47.5 hour week over 5 days with straight day time shifts, in a great out of town location with ample free parking. E-mail your CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Quoting HEAD CHEF in the subject line
TITLE: Head Chef
Reporting To: The Restaurant Manager
Job Summary: To manage the preparation of food to order that ensures maximum customer satisfaction and compliance with Food Safety regulations. To ensure the kitchen runs smoothly and efficiently and is maintained to the highest standards of cleanliness with all necessary preparation being done prior to service. To design and cost menu’s and “specials” and to carefully manage the food inventory. To be responsible for the Premises, Equipment and inventory of the Kitchen, Bakery and stores. To mentor, train and discipline the staff to ensure that highest standards are maintained.
- To ensure all mise-en-place is ready prior to service.
- To be fully conversant with all agreed recipes.
- To prepare food to fulfil customer orders ensuring they match the agreed standards of production, presentation and portion size.
- Ensure that all food leaving the kitchen corresponds to the agreed presentation & Content Standards
- To ensure food is prepared in the correct sequence and is ready to be served within the times specified to meet the agreed service level standards.
- To produce new menu’s and new dishes and to provide costing’s for these.
- To maintain a high level of communication with the other Chefs and Kitchen staff to ensure the smooth running of the kitchen.
- To set an excellent example to the other members of the kitchen team and motivate them to work at the required pace and to achieve the standards required.
- Work closely, and communicate with the front of house staff to ensure a smooth operation at all times.
- To fully investigate the reasons for any food returned from the restaurant or any reported customer dissatisfaction with the food and report this and recommended improvements to the management.
- To ensure that wastage and stock loss is kept to the absolute minimum including an adherence to stock rotation policies.
- To ensure that all deliveries are counted / weighed and checked against the delivery documents, raising credit claims with suppliers as required.
- To carry out monthly stock counts at the direction of the management.
- To complete the daily wastage records with explanations, for presentation to the management.
- To carry out the daily replenishment ordering of stock and to negotiate the best prices while ensuring stock holding is minimal.
- Ensure that all food storage and labelling meets the agreed company and statutory requirements.
Hygiene, Health & Safety
- To ensure the “Safer Food Better Business” hygiene and safety regulations are adhered too at all times.
- To report and where possible, take action on incidents, accidents and damages.
- To report any faulty or damaged equipment immediately to the Manager and arrange for it to be repaired or replaced.
- To ensure that all reasonable care is taken for the health and safety of yourself and others in the kitchen.
- To ensure you are familiar with the location of all fire fighting equipment and understand how use it.
- To undertake training as a First Aider by arrangement with the management.
- To adhere to a high standard of personal hygiene and grooming at all times.
- To report to duty on time and in a clean uniform.
- To manage the staff rota to ensure adequate cover at all times.
- To agree temporary staff requirements with the Director and Managers.
- To prepare a training plan for staff to maximise the usefulness of all employees.
- To carry out any other reasonable tasks assigned by the Director or Managers.