Assistant Buyer (Non Plants)
We are seeking to recruit an Assistant Buyer to join our office team. This is a rare opportunity to join a diverse local business and learn from our buyers how to select and replenish a wide range of products from gifts to dog collars and clothes to spades. This interesting and varied position will involve working with the Head Buyer and Area Supervisors to calculate replenishment orders as well as helping to manage suppliers, new product introductions and reviewing prices & margins.
This role would suit someone with experience of working on the shop floor with a similar range of products and who would now like to advance their career. So if you are well organised, logical, time efficient, a great communicator, have excellent numeracy skills, are a confident user of Excel and Outlook and are able to demonstrate problem solving ability this may be the perfect job for you.
Training will be given on our systems and procedures but we are looking for candidates with drive and enthusiasm who are able to work on their own initiative to deliver results. The working hours for this position are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
If you would like more information please read the job description below and apply by e-mailing your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com quoting BUYING.
TITLE: Assistant Buyer (Non-Plants)
Department: Buying Department
Reporting To: Head Buyer
- To place orders for stock based on calculated demand and Sales Supervisor feedback taking into account current stock levels and agreed stock holding parameters.
- To work with the Head Buyer and Area Supervisors on the introduction and setup of new products and the phasing out of non-performing products.
- To regularly review the margins being achieved and alerting the Head Buyer to any areas of concern or opportunity.
- To draw up promotional plans based on Supplier promotional prices and offers.
- To keep the sales teams updated on new products and stock arrivals.
- To assist the Head Buyer in ensuring that all Supplier Terms & Conditions are regularly negotiated and updated.
- To work with the EPOS administrators to ensure that the product file always reflects the correct cost and selling prices and that discontinued items are flagged as such.
- To maintain the database of suppliers for each buying area of the business detailing key buying parameters for each including usual order frequency, normal lead time and usual weeks stock holding. To plan weekly buying schedules based on this list and also on feedback from Area Supervisors and a personal review of stocks on the shop floor and in the stores.
- To extract data from the main EPOS system and use spreadsheet based calculations, historic knowledge and sales staff feedback to create proposed orders ready for approval by the Head Buyer or Directors.
- To issue approved purchase orders to suppliers ensuring that these are confirmed as having been received and that a detailed order confirmation showing quantity ordered and cost is returned to us. To review this confirmation and if differs from the original Purchase Order to either challenge the Supplier about the differences or update the Purchase Order with those changes.
- To review all outstanding orders on a weekly basis liaising with the Supplier and the relevant department to agree if the order (or any balance of an order) is still required or should be cancelled or if late arriving to find out when it will be delivered.
- To maintain detailed records of items currently on promotion or on offer with the supplier and to take advantage of these offers to give us both sales and margin advantages.
- To ensure that the Area Supervisors are kept informed of any stock arrivals coming in to their department.
- To work with the Head Buyer and Sales Supervisors on the selection of new products getting the supplier to fill in a new product template and creating the products accurately on the system.
- To assist the Head Buyer with the administration and the keeping up to date of Supplier Terms & Conditions records including sending T&C’s finalised by the Head Buyer to the supplier for signing, updating the EPOS system with new information and maintaining the master supplier schedule enabling you to know when they next need to be reviewed.
- To meet with supplier representatives visiting Jersey to discuss and negotiate terms and conditions of supply.
- To accompany the Head Buyer on visits to trade shows off the island to source new products.
- To work with Suppliers to ensure the cost and retail prices on our system are current and updated on a timely basis once agreed with the Head Buyer.
- To liaise with the Supplier to ensure that any discontinued items are flagged as such on our EPOS system.
Price & Stock Management
- To present to the Head Buyer after each cost price update a Supplier Margin Review schedule for the supplier so they may review and amend prices as they feel appropriate.
- To review the Promotions schedules for your designated areas each week to ensure these are still valid including making sure that stock being sold on a promotional basis is still being purchased from the supplier on a promotional basis.
- To ensure that the sales teams are aware of all promotions starting or ending and ensure that appropriate signage is being put in place to highlight the promotion.
- To participate as an effective and willing team member in order to achieve individual and team goals.
- To ensure the Health & Safety of self, customers and colleagues is not at risk, taking all reasonable steps to ensure safety in the workplace.
- To adhere to all Company policies and procedures.
- To undertake the required training and development.
- To carry out any other tasks within the employees abilities requested by Managers or Directors.